CNDA 2022 Legislative Campaign
CA Naturopathic Scope Modernization
Working with our state legislators is an essential part of advancing naturopathic medicine and it is a great way to stay connected with your community. Support from naturopathic doctors, patients and friends has helped propel naturopathic medicine forward in so many ways. Take a look at our past legislative victories and see how your efforts can make a difference!
Senate Bill 994
CNDA is proud to sponsor SB 994 via Senator Brian Jones-R of San Diego. SB 994 allows Naturopathic Doctors to employ Licensed Vocational Nurses, while practicing within their existing scope of practice.
Naturopathic Doctors (NDs) are licensed primary care doctors who attend four-year post-graduate accredited naturopathic medical schools. Like other primary care doctors, NDs diagnose, prevent, and treat disease. NDs have a broad independent scope, with limits set in existing law. NDs are licensed to perform physical exams; order laboratory tests and imaging (x-rays, MRIs, mammograms, etc.); draw blood and perform CLIA-waived laboratory testing in-office; and administer IVs and injections. They can also prescribe drugs (including most controlled substances) provided they have a relationship with a supervising Medical Doctor (MD) or a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO).
SB 994 would allow NDs to hire LVNs and allow both providers to work within their existing scope of practice. This would increase LVNs exposure to the primary care setting and allow them to work more closely with doctors and patients than they might in other settings, including participation in care plan development.
- All California NDs need to become a CNDA member, if you’re not already.
- Update your membership information so we are connecting to the right address and can correctly match you with your representatives in Sacramento.
- Update your email preferences so you are getting the right content.
- Tell us about any personal or professional relationships you have with legislators and other people in government.
- Join a CNDA committee - the legislative committee or any other committee could use your help to forward naturopathic medicine in California. Please contact us.