CNDA Legislative Campaign for CA Naturopathic Scope Modernization
To learn more about our efforts at the CNDA, just CLICK on the video message below from Dr. Sarah Murphy, ND:
We’re very excited to announce a new robust legislative campaign process starting in 2021. We have big goals around modernizing the naturopathic scope of practice in California that we estimate, realistically, will take us the next 3 to 5 years to accomplish.
The CNDA has had many legislative successes in the past on behalf of naturopathic medicine, but there are still important limitations on naturopathic practice that we are working to eliminate. This takes a lot of time, effort and money!
We’re very excited to welcome back Dr. Simon Barker as Legislative Committee Chair again. I’m confident, that under his strong leadership, we’ll get this work done effectively. The CNDA has also just hired a new lobbyist to help with 2021-2025 legislative campaign path.
Now, as many of you know, the nurse practitioners recently achieved independent practice. Many of you have asked and “why not us?” I too, understand your frustration. We absolutely deserve the same, and we can and will achieve the same. But It’s important to understand that it doesn’t happen just because it’s what is right. This took the nurse practitioners over a decade and we’ll over a million dollars to achieve. In addition, there are many thousands more of them than there are of us. And numbers of supporters greatly matters in passing legislation.
We, too, can do this! But again... it’s tons of work, time, money, and, very importantly, power in numbers! We’re a relatively small profession, as you probably know. So we need each and everyone of you listening to this to support us and also tell all of your naturopathic doctor friends and naturopathic industry stakeholders about what we’re up to and ask them to support too.
We absolutely cannot do this without the participation of each and every person in our community.
So it’s time to rise up. Here’s the why and then I’ll tell you the how...
Our upcoming Legislative Goals include:
1. Independent prescriptive rights, eliminating the outdated MD supervision requirement.
2. Minor office procedures, like stitches and biopsies.
3. The ability to hire nurses.
4. The ability to do sports physicals, disability, and Workers’ Comp physicals and forms.
5. Mandated insurance coverage.
6. Title protection of our name, “naturopath,” making it illegal for other people to use that term.
Yes, we want a lot. And it certainly can be done. Again, it’s just a lot of time, effort, money and a powerful and big enough group of people supporting it.
You may ask if the CNDA is really up for all this. I’d say yes because I know the CNDA’s history. Please know that the CNDA has been behind many naturopathic Legislative Successes and Achievements in the past including:
1. Helping us get our original licensure as independent primary care doctors in 2003.
2. Adjusting our licensing body from a weak Committee with as many MDs as NDs on the advisory board, to a strong Committee consisting of mostly NDs.
3. The ability to do CLIA waived testing in office.
4. The ability to hire Naturopathic Medical Assistants.
5. The ability to do IV therapy independently.
So the CNDA success record is there.
Let’s get back to looking forward into what’s next! Our new campaign is a multi-year process and will likely involve a smaller bill then a larger one.
Here’s what we need you to do...
1. First, we need to build a strong coalition and call on the support of all of our allies. We need each of you to develop a relationship with your representatives in the legislature. With term limits, these change regularly. The CNDA will be providing upcoming training on this and can guide you. Just call or email us for talking points and more support.
2. Second, we also need you to financially donate to the legislative campaign. And please keep donating even if you have already. We have set a minimum goal of $500,000 in order to achieve our major goals over the next 3-5 years. Please visit our website at calnd.org and click on the donate button.
Other things we need for you to do...
3. All California NDs need to become a CNDA member, if you’re not already.
4. Next, update your home and work address with us, so we can correctly match you with your representatives in Sacramento.
5. Then, tell us about any personal or professional relationships you have with legislators and other people in government.
6. Finally, please join a CNDA committee - the legislative committee or any other committee could use your help to forward naturopathic medicine in California. Please contact us.
Remember - Together, and only together, we can do this!
Let’s get it done. Thank you. Thank you. And thank you again!
California Naturopathic Doctors Association
Working with our state legislators is an essential part of advancing naturopathic medicine and it is a great way to stay connected with your community. Support from naturopathic doctors, patients and friends has helped propel naturopathic medicine forward in so many ways. Take a look at our past legislative victories and see how your efforts can make a difference!