Download this template letter to ask your company's insurance carrier to include naturopathic doctors in your employee health plans today!
Naturopathic medicine is a cost effective solution to keeping the workplace healthy and productive. Naturopathic doctors (NDs) are licensed primary care providers trained to diagnose, treat and manage acute and chronic diseases using both conventional and natural medicine.
The CNDA has compiled information and resources for employers interested in:
- Increasing the health care provider options available to employees,
- Improving employee access to safe and effective chronic disease prevention and treatment,
- Re-focusing health care on preventative and wellness medicine,
- Reducing employee absenteeism, and
- Increasing employee productivity.
Continue reading below for informational handouts and recent research pertaining to naturopathic medicine.
Cost Effectiveness of Naturopathic Medicine
Click here for a printable document that summarizes existing research on the cost effectiveness of naturopathic medicine. This document discusses:
- The cost impact of including NDs in Washington State insurance plans (generally less than 2%),
- A comparison of the cost and effectiveness of lifestyle therapy—a treatment modality all NDs specialize in—vs. pharmaceutical therapy for treating Type 2 Diabetes,
- A comparison of naturopathic care vs. conventional care for preventing Cardiovascular Disease, and
- A comparison of naturopathic care vs. physiotherapy for treating lower back pain and other musculoskeletal complaints.
- The study found that including naturopathic care in an essential benefits package could avoid $172 per day of lost productivity.
Naturopathic Medicine Effectively Treats and Prevents Chronic Disease
Click here for a document summarizing the disproportionate cost and health impacts of chronic disease in California, and evidence demonstrating naturopathic medicine's effectiveness in treating and preventing chronic disease. This document discusses:
- Spending in California on the four most prevalent chronic health conditions,
- How naturopathic doctors directly address lifestyle and behaviors that contribute to chronic disease, and
- Studies demonstrating naturopathic medicine's effectiveness in treating and preventing diabetes, heart disease and asthma compared to other treatment options.
Patient Satisfaction with Naturopathic Doctors
Click here for a document that highlights existing research on patient experience and satisfaction with naturopathic doctors compared to other types of health care providers. This document discusses:
- What "patient experience" is and why it impacts health care outcomes,
- What patients can expect when visiting a naturopathic doctor, and
- Performance of naturopathic medical clinics compared to other types of clinics in a patient satisfaction survey
- Bastyr Center for Natural Health, a health clinic affiliated with an accredited naturopathic medical university, ranked #1 of 156 health clinics in an independent Puget Sound survey on patient experience.
Primary Care Provider Shortage in California
Click here for a document that summarizes the need for more primary care providers (PCPs) in our state, and why naturopathic doctors are poised to fill this gap. This document discusses:
- Lessons from Massachusetts' experience significantly expanding health care coverage for its residents,
- Naturopathic doctor training and licensing as primary care providers,
- The growing numbers of naturopathic doctors in California and nationwide,
- The 2012 opening of an accredited naturopathic medical school in San Diego, and
- Current insurance coverage of naturopathic doctors in other states.
More Information on Naturopathic Doctors
To find out more information about specific primary care services that naturopathic doctors are trained and licensed to perform in California, and a list of CPT codes commonly used to bill insurance companies, download our document Naturopathic Doctors (NDs) are Primary Care Doctors.
To read about the safety record of practicing naturopathic doctors in California and nationwide, download our document Naturopathic Doctor Safety Statistics.
For a comparative breakdown of the clinical and didactic education of naturopathic doctors compared to allopathic doctors, download our document Naturopathic Medical Education Comparative Curricula.