CNDA Mentorship Program
The California Naturopathic Doctors Association offers a Mentorship Program as a member benefit for any naturopathic doctor or 4th year student that would like guidance from a more seasoned peer. The idea is to reach out to our community and learn from one another so that we can accelerate our journey to becoming excellent clinicians, successful practice owners, and a stronger united profession.
We strive to make the Mentorship Program as effective and efficient as possible. With this in mind, we overhauled the program to make it easier for mentors and mentees to communicate, set expectations, and follow through. The Mentorship Program will:
1. Match mentors with mentees by location, specialties, or availability. The hours will be based on the mentor’s availability. It is the mentee's responsibility to reach out to their potential mentor choices to initiate the relationship.
2. Provide mentors with resources on how to be an effective mentor and what you can expect as a mentor. It is our goal to not only provide mentorship for new doctors but to help grow the leaders of the profession. It is important to mentor and support our mentors as well.
3. Provide mentees with resources on how to be an effective mentee, how to communicate with your mentor, how to set expectations and identify when your needs are not being met.
This program is intended to not only connect peers so that we can learn from each other but also to give participants the skills they need to contribute to the profession as a whole. We encourage you to think about where you can use a hand in your learning and then sign up through the CNDA site for a mentor. (You will need to be logged into your CNDA membership account to access this page.) Likewise, if you feel that you have expertise in areas that you would like to help share with other docs in need of clinical or business learning, please sign up as a mentor. (You will need to be logged into your CNDA membership account to access this page.)
For more information, please contact the CNDA home office
at 310-670-8100 or email at email@example.com.
The ND population continues to grow in California, with over 70 new NDs becoming licensed last year alone. With the new Bastyr Campus in San Diego, we can only expect these numbers to keep rising! As established doctors may recall, learning the ropes of beginning a practice in our state is no easy task. So many questions arise in the process and it can be difficult to know where to get answers or who to ask for help. The need for guidance for our doctors is clear. To address this need, the CNDA is actively creating materials like our Guide to Practicing Naturopathic Medicine in California and regularly updating the Frequently Asked Questions list. Our other strategic effort to address this issue is the creation and coordination of a Mentorship Program for our members.
Why Become a Mentor?
What to expect as a Mentor:
- Mentors decide their own level of involvement; this is a volunteer position.
- Mentors decide what areas they would like to lend guidance on.
- Mentors can focus on one mentee at a time, or can have loose correspondence with several.
- Mentors can choose to become ‘inactive’ at any time.
- The CNDA will work to match mentors and mentees with similar interests, credentials, and expectations to the best of our availability, according to mentor and mentee requests as well as the answers to the linked surveys.
To become a mentor, simply fill out the Mentor Interest Survey Form. (You will need to be logged into your CNDA membership account to access this page.)
We are extremely grateful to experienced doctors who are willing to lend a helping hand to those in need of more support on their clinical and practice management learning path! Your commitment to serving individual doctors in this capacity will help us to create a stronger and more successful community at large. Thank you for your commitment to our profession!
Interested in Becoming a Mentee?If you are a member of the CNDA and just finishing school or starting out your practice in California, we encourage you to apply to our Mentorship Program as a mentee. Established doctors who are seeking guidance are also welcome to apply as a mentee! The CNDA will strive to match individuals according to credentials, specialty interests, time commitment expectations, and location. Fill out the Mentee Interest Survey here. (You will need to be logged into your CNDA membership account to access this page.) Then, take a look at the list of available mentors and select three that align with your interests and needs. Once you have filled out the interest survey and selected your potential mentors, contact the CNDA home office at 310-670-8100 or firstname.lastname@example.org with those three mentor numbers for contact information and mentorship resources.