Naturopathic Webinar 47
A Deeper Dive Into Autoimmune Thyroiditis
with Dr. Amy Chadwick, ND
WEDNESDAY, March 10th, 2021: 6:30 - 8:30pm
2 CEs* (approved by CNDA; pending approval by OBNM)
2 CEs for CA LAc* (pending)
REGISTER NOW * $75 members | $95 non-members
Autoimmune thyroiditis is a common diagnosis and reason for patients seeking care. Endobiogeny, a global systems paradigm, recognizes and elucidates the mechanisms of the neuroendocrine system as the global manager of physiology. Understanding the thyrotropic axis within this system, with its complex and essential relationships to the ANS (autonomic nervous system) and other hormones, allows for a unique perspective on why antibodies are produced and how to address thyroid health in the individual to restore dynamism and vitality.
Autoimmunity is a hyperimmune state with antibody production against self. However, the production of antibodies starts as an adaptive, protective mechanism. If the adaptive demand is excessive or constant, the once protective mechanism can become dysregulated and contribute to disease. Understanding the initial factors of solicitation and the neuroendocrine response, unique to the individual, allows for an individualized and self-empowered approach for the clinician and patient.
Exploring autoimmune thyroiditis elucidates the relationships between the GI, pancreas, ANS, estrogen and central and peripheral thyroid hormones to meet the metabolic and adaptive needs of the individual. Thyroid antibodies are a witness to an over-solicitation which can be the result of dysfunction at any of the above levels. They are honored as initially protective, allowing TRH and TSH to meet the physiologic demands of the organism without destabilizing peripheral thyroid activity and metabolism. Understanding the individual patterns to over-solicitation is the key to understanding cause. Case studies will be used to demonstrate patterns of solicitation, symptom and clinical exam findings, lab findings, and treatment options.
After the presentation, participants will be able to confidently:
- Share an integrative systems understanding for the role of each of the hormones in the thyroid axis and the role antibodies play in slowing down or buffering T4 and T3 activity.
- Understand the relationships between the autonomic nervous system and the thyroid axis.
- Understand the relationships between the gonadotropic axis and the thyrotropic axis.
- Understand the role of digestion and emunctory function in thyroid activity and antibody production.
- Discuss the role of thyroid replacement therapy in treating autoimmune thyroiditis given the patterns discussed above.
- Discuss treatment strategies: diet, lifestyle and herbal in supporting a balanced neuroendocrine management to reduce the antibody solicitation and restore healthy dynamism to the system.
Category 1 TM Credits
CE Provider #805
310 670 8100
This course is pending approval by The California Acupuncture Board for 2 hours of continuing education
This course will be available as a self study after the date of the live webinar.
*Refunds not available