Using Superbills for Reimbursement
(For a downloadable version of this page, click here)
- A superbill is a form completed by medical practitioners that allows patients to be reimbursed directly from their health insurance companies.
- A superbill does not guarantee that an insurance provider will pay for the services provided. Each insurance plan is different, and it is your responsibility to contact your insurance provider and find out exactly will be covered.
Sending in your superbill for reimbursement
To ask your insurance company to reimburse you for services you received from your naturopathic doctor, mail (or submit online, depending on the company) your insurance company the following:
- The superbill you received from your doctor, and
- A photocopy of your insurance ID card, front and back.
- Keep a photocopy of all the documents you send in for your records.
Why does my naturopathic doctor not bill my insurance company for me?
- Currently in the state of California, insurance companies are not required to contract with naturopathic doctors and so most of them choose not to. As a result, naturopathic doctors are considered out-of-network providers, meaning they do not work directly with insurance companies. Patients of NDs can pay out-of-pocket for ND services and submit a superbill to attempt to get reimbursed by their insurance plan.
- Many health care professionals do not work directly with insurance companies, choosing instead to work as out-of-network providers. This ensures that your doctor makes medical decisions that are purely based on professional expertise and not on health insurance policies.
How do I find out what my insurance company will reimburse for an out-of-network provider?
- Call the customer service phone number listed on your insurance card.
Ask, “I want to work with an out-of-network naturopathic doctor, how much will you reimburse me?”
- Many insurance companies’ customer service representatives have never heard of naturopathic doctors, or do not know what we are licensed to do in this state. If they ask what a naturopathic doctor is, you can tell them, “Naturopathic doctors are licensed primary care providers in the state of California.”
- Ask, “What is the best way to submit my claim for reimbursement with a superbill?”
- Be sure that your insurance plan benefits are clear to you - what should your health plan cover? What health services count toward your deductible?
Be aware that should you choose to submit a superbill, you are releasing medical information that is protected by law. This means you are waiving some of your rights to privacy and confidentiality. It is standard for your insurance company to keep a record of your diagnoses stated on the superbill as part of your permanent medical file.