CA CE Requirements
Click here to download the CE Requirements & Tracking Form.
California Naturopathic Doctors Continuing Education Requirements
Per Business and Professions Code Section 3635(a), California Naturopathic Doctors are required to complete statutory continuing education requirements for each renewal period. For your initial licensing period, this requirement is waived. Thereafter, you are required to complete the following continuing education requirements during each renewal cycle, which is the two-year period immediately preceding the expiration date of your license.
For example, if you are initially licensed on 01/01/14 and are born in December, your license expiration date will be 12/31/15 (2 years). You do not need to meet the 60 CE hour requirement to file for renewal on 12/31/15. Your next renewal date will be 12/31/17. Before filing for renewal on 12/31/17, you will need to have taken 60 hours of Continuing Education courses. Additionally, and importantly, any webinars or conferences attended from 01/01/2014 to 12/31/2015 will not count towards your 2017 renewal.
Sixty (60) hours of continuing education every two years
The continuing education requirements must be met through courses pre-approved by one of the following accrediting agencies or organizations:
- the Naturopathic Medicine Committee (NMC) (Not currently approving providers or classes)
- the California Naturopathic Doctors Association (CNDA)
- the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians (AANP)
- the California State Board of Pharmacy
- the State Board of Chiropractic Examiners
- the CA State Board of Pharmacy (BOP)
- the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE)
- the Pharmacy Foundation of California (PFC)
- the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP)
- other courses that meet the standards for continuing education for licensed physicians and surgeons in California (such as AMA PRA Category 1™ accredited classes)
*The CNDA does not have a Master List of courses approved for California NDs.
*ALL CNDA-approved courses are listed on the right hand side of this page as soon as they are approved.
*If you wish for a course to be approved, you can direct the course organizers to our CE application page. (Please note: We do not approve courses retroactively.)
- Always verify that the courses you plan to take have been approved by one of these agencies or they will not count towards your CE requirements! Courses cannot be approved retroactively. The provider of a course must issue you a CE certificate indicating that the course was approved by one of the accrediting organizations listed above.
- CE courses provided by any of the accredited naturopathic colleges are not automatically approved. Per California law, they must be approved by one of the accrediting organizations listed above.
- If you want to attend a conference/course that is not yet approved, you can ask the provider to seek CE approval from the CNDA. There is a fee for reviewing the course that the provider must pay, and they should request the review a minimum of 4-6 weeks before the course. They can download the form on calnd.org under ‘CME events/Apply for CE Credits.’
When you renew your license, you are required to certify that you have completed the required continuing education hours in the preceding renewal period. You need to keep records of the approved courses you attended along with the certificates in a safe file. Documents that are acceptable include: Certificates of Completion of CE event that name the doctor as the participant, the name and date(s) of the course or program, the provider, the number of approved credit hours granted for attendance, and the accrediting agency. 15% of all license renewals will be subject to an audit and will be required to verify their continuing education credits. If a licensee is audited and cannot prove that the CEUs were actually completed (ie, submitting Certificates of Completion), the renewal will be reversed and enforcement actions will be taken on the licensee for Unprofessional Conduct/Dishonesty.
Please note that you should not turn in the actual certificates with your renewal. You just have to list the CE programs and certify that you completed the courses. However, the NMC reserves the right to audit your records for documentation; verify your attendance with the course provider; or verify CE approval by accrediting agency.
CNDA Continuing Education Program
The CNDA has structured its continuing education programs specifically to help you meet your CE requirements in any two year period. Each year we offer at least four live webinars that are 2.5 pharmacy CE hours each.
* Note that our webinars are considered 'live' hours when you attend them during the live broadcast, otherwise they are considered self-study hours. Self study hours can also be applied to your pharmacy requirements.Our CE programs are a major source of revenue for the CNDA and this helps us raise more money while keeping the cost low for our members. You can help support the CNDA by encouraging your professional colleagues and friends to attend our courses.
Additional benefit for California Licensed Acupuncturists
In addition to ND CE hours, we are also getting all of our courses approved for CE hours by the California Acupuncture Board for California licensed acupuncturists. California licensed acupuncturists can earn CE hours for both ND and LAc license renewals with each course.
CNDA Self-Study Programs
If you miss any of our live programs and need to make up hours, we record all of our conferences and webinars and offer them as self-study hours. You can use a maximum of 15 self-study hours each renewal period. Self-study webinars can be ordered through our online shopping cart.
Naturopathic Medicine Committee
For more information on Continuing Education and Licensing Renewal requirements, visit the California Naturopathic Medicine Committee website: www.naturopathic.ca.gov. Rebecca Mitchell is the Acting Executive Officer and can be reached by phone at 916-928-4785 or email.